Saturday, February 9, 2013

A Happy Moment in all this Sadness

Wow! That was awesome and powerful. What you ask?

I tend to take walks with my brother every now and then and this was one of the few mornings we got another chance to do so. I should preface this with the fact that my brother and I have always been somewhat close or at least as close as we can be. But he tends to be the more shut off emotionally type, I guess I shouldn't say shut off; Just doesn't really talk about things. We have been through a lot together, but the biggest thing was the loss of our parents who passed within approx. 5 years of each other (I am not good with dates and times), and most recently the loss of our favorite Aunt who was always the life of any family get-together and helped keep the family together along with my parents. Since she passed, we hadn't really talked until this morning. The visit started with a hug and discussion of this Aunt, but it led into a long discussion about our parents and all the bullshit that came after our mother passed. It felt so good to talk about these things. When we were saying our goodbyes, I made a point of telling my brother how great it was to talk about these things and how much it meant to me that he took the time to come out and walk with me. The tears started to well up and we hugged again. It was a good happy feeling at the end and I felt compelled to share it. I have had a lot of difficulty crying, so even tearing up is a big deal for me. It felt great and I love my brother so much for making me feel that way.

2 comments:

  1. That's a lovely story. A fulfilling connection with someone, especially a sibling is pretty great. Not there yet with my little sister, getting closer, but at least we don't fight like when we were kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughts Miz Liz. I am glad to hear that you are getting closer to your sister. It's hard to feel a disconnect from people you care so deeply for.

    ReplyDelete